Does cold exist? Cold does not exist it is in reality the absence of heat, according to Einstein. But the beautiful thing about cold,if used properly can serve to be a great benefit to our bodies.
Cryotherapy (Cry-Oh-Therapy), the word sounds like a chamber a villain would keep to punish his enemies right? But think of cryotherapy like an “ice pack on steroids”. It is a great form of treatment used to alleviate chronic pain, inflammation, and tension in the body by using intense methods of cold. The extremely cold temperature elicit a very powerful local vasoconstriction (blood flow slows down or is stopped) and trapping heat within the body thus forcing the body to go in a state of thermogenesis. Thermogenesis is when the body starts to increase heat and causes the body’s metabolism to ramp up thus causing fat burning cycles.
Now what are the benefits of cryotherapy?
1. Decreases inflammation and allows for more healing to occur in different muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cells.
2. Stimulates the vagus nerve (a nerve which reduces blood pressure and slows down your heart beat). This stimulation causes reduced fatigue and anxiety thus helping to repair the nervous system. Deep breathing is another way to stimulate the vagus nerve!
3. Faster recovery due to the enriched blood flow through the body which allows for increased joint and muscle strength.
4. An increased metabolism is activated due to the energy needed to reheat the body. During the three minute treatment, between 500 and 800 calories are burned. Remember that it takes alot of energy and power to keep the body warm and in homeostasis.
5. Chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and fatigue are all significantly reduced. Cryotherapy allows for relaxation of the muscles and tissues thus allowing for a better deeper sleep which allows the body to repair itself and induce days of lasting pain relief.
6. An endorphin rush. The word ‘endorphin’ comes from ‘endogenous morphine” which is the body’s natural morphine system and due to the activation of these hormones, cortisol levels decrease and serotonin levels increase.
7. Increased skin elasticity due to the boost of collagen activity. The less stress a person has in their life then the better their blood flows thus allowing harmony for all the organ to function properly.
8. Increased testosterone. Although more research is needed in this field, several studies and scientific articles have stated that there is a correlation between sub zero cold stimulation and increased sperm production.
9. Improved alertness and concentration. The increased blood flow to the cells and tissues allows for more oxygen delivery and as you know the more oxygen the body receives the stronger and more powerful the brain becomes.
10. A stronger immune system. The healing from injuries allows the body to resist illnesses and disease to decreased stress and inflammation. When the body diverts its resources from repair to restoration, the white blood cell count increases in the body and the immune system becomes naturally stronger.
Go try cryotherapy, it is pretty damn sweet 🙂